Report Identity Theft

If you are a legitimate victim of Identity Theft, you’ve probably heard that you have to produce a police report surrounding the time of your victimization.  If you have that, great. If your Identity Theft affects your Diversified Consumer Services account, you should forward that to us AND dispute the debt. We have made it easy to dispute debts online to save you time and speed up our response at DISPUTE A DEBT.

If you do not have a police report, you can file a report at which is managed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). This is NOT the same as disputing a debt. As with a police report, you must DISPUTE A DEBT whether through our website or via a physically mailed letter. (Trust us, it’s quicker to fill out the form online and save the stamp!

Remember, disputing a debt is a function wherein you are provided legally required information under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The amount of information is extremely minimal, so we provide more details than the law requires. It does not guarantee you will not have to pay the debt. If we validate the debt, the burden of proof is on you to prove identity theft or other circumstances.


Please also note, filing a false police report or a false report on the FTC site may constitute a criminal act. It should not be used as a tool to try to “skate out” of a debt you know you owe.

We have the right to make the determination of the legitimacy of any information you provide to us whether directly or indirectly and if we determine that the debt is legally valid and there is not enough documentation to thwart payment, we will expect payment, and we will work with you, of course.

“Timely filing” of identity theft is essential, so the moment you know about it, you’ve got to act or you may find yourself paying a debt that wasn’t yours, but that you couldn’t back up.